Saturday, October 10, 2020

Saturday Morning Breakfast Serial #2

 


        My name is Erin Murphy.  I am thirty-six years old.  I am 5'5" Brown and Brown per my (Colorado) driver's license.  Until it exploded, I lived at 3135 N Julian St., Denver, a small brick bungalow that I was paying exorbitant rent to stay in and an even more exorbitant pet deposit--neither of which I could really afford on my military disability and Social Security, but were better than my current dilemma of homelessness.

        I served with distinction as a medic in various conflicts from the time I had enlisted bright and early on my eighteenth birthday until injured in the line of duty.  I am right handed-which is good, since it was my left arm that was damaged.  I have a prosthesis from the middle of my left forearm down.  It works well, but it will never be a "hand" to me.  It's a machine.  A useful tool.  It's not a part of me, and it sure as hell doesn't replace what I lost.

       And yes, now, that you mention it.  I do have just a teenie weenie bit of bitterness about that.  But only a little.  I could have died.  Hell, I probably *should* have.  I owe my life to a man from my unit who got me the hell out of that mess, and into the middle of this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

     "Well, whatever it was, we need to get back to work."  The vet tried to sound businesslike, but there was a tiny tremor in hi...